Sunday 28 February 2010

Make meadows no lawns

I have just lost one of my colonies of bees I am sorry to say. They didn't make it through the winter.
Anyway, in preparation for spring I am encouraging people to help our bees by thinking differently about lawns. Instead of having lawns can we begin to reconnect with nature by growing meadows? They offer plenty of opportunity for bees and other insects to thrive, and they get us away from the idea we control the natural world with our monocultural deserts we call lawns.
In April, I will hopefully begin to put together the hive again with a new nucleus. Fortunately the other hive is thriving. Think meadow not lawn, if you have no lawn, plant a pot of flowers and put it on the window ledge or balcony.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about your bees Paul. I thought you might like to know, our transportable buildings have now gone and we are about to begin the next phase. We'll keep you posted.

    Dan Cowan, Holy Family School, Adelaide

    ReplyDelete