Sunday 14 February 2010

weed it and reap 2

So the temperature is rising for those of us who are trying to establish a link to a sustainable food related way of living and being. Never mind the details and technicalities of the debate in the US, where those folks bashing away against the mainstream continue to inspire and innovate, we have just as many home grown contenders for the 'Flanagan rebuff' crown.
My latest battle has been with someone with whom I have spend a good deal of my working time over the years and who I thought might know better, (they will remain nameless' but, the cheap shot hit home when the work was described as California dreaming. My first feeling was surprise, then shock and disappointment, then confusion, surely I had misunderstood, and then stepping back I began to realise, he just doesn't get this stuff and I dont think that he can be bothered to even try and learn about it because his world is quite comfortable as it is.
That I think lies at the very heart of the problem, when the attention we place on education is driven by ego, people simply cannot make the connection to the eco. All the weaknesses of the 'Flanagan' critique stack together as a complete failure to understand what is happening and why. We might just as easily respond by asking - Where are their great solutions? where are the more equitable societies? where are the health benefits? where are the opportunities for people to live more worthwhile and fulfilling lives, where is the economic growth and economic gain, what are they doing to ensure that there is a degree of hope for the next generation and not a wilderness of despair? where is their great education reform leading them?
My gut feeling is that we dig deeper, literally and metaphorically, we generate examples everywhere we can and we connect together and grow ever stronger. Solidarity brothers and sisters.

No comments:

Post a Comment