Monday 1 November 2010

vegetable tourist encounter

Its a funny old world. I was in town this weekend and a man stopped me on the way to the market 'scuse me mayt' (he was from Manchester and i can't do the accent) whurs yer vegetables?' I thought about this for a minute, assuming that he wasn't a mugger (after all he had a walking stick, a little backpack which carried a flask and screw on cup in the stringy bit on the back and he must have been at least in his seventies) I presumed he meant the saturday market. 'Follow me' I said and walked with him to the market in the middle of town, some twenty yards away. On arrival he looked at me in a slightly confused way, 'no, mayt, I mean your real vegetables, them's what's growing in the road.' The penny dropped, he was one of our new breed of tourists in Tod, the vegetable tourist, came all the way from Hulme to see our veg growing on the roadside. Incredible this edible thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment